Demanding Dismissal of the ESFNA Public Relations Officer! by Better Sinzeros
“I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies” said Pietro Aretino. The Ethiopian Sport Federation in North America (ESFNA) Board of Director pressured its Executive Committee to permit to hold an emergency teleconference on Thursday January 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM ET. Reaching a decision to meet to figure out how to deal with a possible boycott is a step forward, although the delay negatively affected the ESFNA’s goodwill immeasurably. The agenda items for the meeting are “Atlanta 2011 and dealing with a possible boycott.”
We are very disappointed by the lies the ESFNA Public Relations, Fassil Abebe, has been telling us in the last several months. We are also disheartened by his insults. The degree of his vulgarity is beyond anyone’s wild imaginations. We reached to a conclusion that his offensiveness demonstrates his disrespect for his colleagues, the Ethiopian opposition parties’ leaders and their supports, and the Diaspora. We wonder what his family especially his 16 and 17 years old children, his wife, and his parents would say about the way he has been expressing himself to his colleagues and to the public. Some argue that he is on a mission to alienate the public affection for the organization; case in point,
1) On his October 20, 2010 press briefing, he lied to the media about the reasons for the Executive Committee decision to reverse Judge Birtukan’s invitation as its Guest of Honor. He stated that the vote in favor of Judge Birtukan invitation was reversed due to concern about losing the organization status. Mind you, a CPA who has been working hand-in-glove with the Executive Committee, including the Public Relations and the Board of Directors surprisingly remained silent while most of the Board members and some in the general public worked their tail off to verify the accuracy of the Public Relations statement. In the future, as we see it appropriate, we might share some information with you about why the CPA did not come forward to explain to the members of the Board and to the Executive Committee that their Public Relations had misspoken in his press briefing. That he told the media Judge Birtukan invitation will have consequence on the status of the organization, although her invitation will not have any effect on the status of the organization.
2) On January 4, 2011 — the Public Relations emailed his colleagues the following email: “Guys, There is a new article on www.ethiopianreview.com titled ESFNA is falling apart. Please read it. Also, this morning I received a phone call from a very close friend in DC who told me that this past Saturday, Abebe Belew on his radio show was saying what the PR of ESFNA has recently said and quoted me as saying ” … who are we afraid of these politicians that cannot even get 100 people to their demonstrations? …” I’m not going to deny that I’ve said that in an e-mail to my colleagues in the EC last week and only to the EC. I wonder how Abebe Belew found out a personal message intended only to my colleagues. And you’re telling me there is no leak? Come on !! By the way Mr. Leaker, tell Abebe Belew and ER I stand by my statement. I’ll further add that all you politicians have done nothing but divide Ethiopians while ESFNA is the only Organization that is ” Bringing Ethiopians Together ” and you’re so jealous of it’s power and reach, you wanted for a long time to dominate it and now that you’ve learned you cannot do that you want to break it up using some internal “Bandas” who leak stuff to you. Tell him/them I said F*U and the horse you rode in.
3) On January 7, 2011 — we extracted the below from an email exchange between two Executive Committee members namely Fassil Abebe and Abiye Nurelign, “… if people want to talk about the guest of honor issue let them talk and see how far they can go. They are doing it right now across the states and over the phone lines. It is much better to contain this discussion from outsiders – and hope at the end of our meeting we will come out as one.”
4) On January 7, 2011 — we extracted the following from an email sent by Fassil Abebe to the members of the Executive Committee “You and I both know that the “Emergency” meeting that is being asked or demanded right now by few Board members with their own agenda, is not to discuss the “Future of ESFNA” or Atlanta 2011. We all know it’s to talk about the Guest of Honor issue. Period. In some circles, if Birtukan is not invited as a Guest of Honor, it’s an emergency. Sorry, I for one, do not share that sentiment…“Look, a lot of unnecessary stuff has been said and I admit I’ve contributed to the verbal volley ball out of frustration and disillusion. I also don’t think a face-to-face meeting, regardless of who pays for it, is not going to resolve the current issue. In fact I think there will be an all out mother of fist-fights.
We demand the Board of Director and the Executive Committee to dismiss their Public Relations, Fassil Abebe, from his post immediately; because:
1) A lie from a leader of one of the major organizations of the Diaspora to mislead its supporters is unacceptable.
2) We interpreted his disgusting statement that “Tell him/them I said F*U and the horse you rode in” as his way of telling the opposition leaders and their supports to F*U. His reference “F*U and the horse you rode in” appears to us that he is relating the opposition party supports among the Diaspora to the workhorse, Boxer, of the Animal Farm. He told them that F*U brainless workhorses. One of the ESFNA leaders telling the opposition party leaders and their supports “F*U” is intolerable. However, we noted that it is a fact that large amount of the people including Fassil Abebe are saddened by the current situation of the oppositions. But it is also know that the majority of Ethiopians are pressuring the oppositions to settle their differences.
We observed that the relationship among the Executive committee and the Board Members is more and more appearing the relationship between the pigs and the rest of the animals on the Animal Farm. As Napoleon and his pigs the Executive Committee “is corrupted by the absolute power it is holding” over the Board Members. George Orwell, “on his novel Animal Farm addresses how wickedness, indifference, ignorance, greed, and myopia destroy any possibility of a Utopia. While this novel portrays corrupt leadership as the flaw in revolution, it also shows how potential ignorance and indifference to problems within a revolution could allow horrors to happen …”
We have noted that the ESFNA leadership is highly talented but cohesive; to our surprise, some of them appear capable of digging Ethiopia out her current situation, if they have a vision to do so. Because the ESFNA leadership is cohesive, it is engaged in groupthink. According to Irving Janis, symptoms of groupthink include “illusions of invulnerability, rationalizing warnings that might challenge the group’s assumptions, unquestioned belief in the morality of the group, stereotyping those who are opposed to the group as weak, self-censorship of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus, etc.”
As we stated above, the ESFNA leadership lacks vision; as a result, we may witness the disintegration of the organization due to groupthink, wickedness, greed, ignorance, lack of leadership, and vision, if most members of the Board and some members of the Executive Committee along with the Diaspora do not exert enough pressure to challenge the Executive Committee attitude about the way it has been running the organization.
To secure ESFNA’s existence, to run it better, and to help it reach its next level, we believe the ESFNA has honorable and skilled workforce within its soccer players, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and supports — if its Executive Committee wants to run the organization transparently, and if it does not suppress ides.
We have clearly noted that the ESFNA Executive Committee has been abusing its power. It disgraces the Diaspora. It lies to the community that supports it. It makes the Board of Directors life harder by imposing more control on them while reserving privileges for itself. It embezzles fund. It does not attempt to defend the organization standing. Besides, most members of the Board of Director except for a few of them though overworked remain convinced through psychological conditioning that they are better off maintaining the organization status quo.
We highly encourage you to seek the whole truth about the resignation of the former ESFNA Finance Chair, Abework Abay, from the president of the organization, Mekonnen Demisiew, although we share with you a brief extraction from the Finance Committee Official Assessment regarding his resignation. “… He resigned due to the lack of full support from critical members of the EC, and lack of transparency, and secretiveness from the President and the secretary regarding contractual dealings after the October 2010 meeting. Abeworks’s tenure was completely shrouded by continuous intimidation and abuse he suffered in the hands of the president, and the auditor, and the silent treatment he had received from the secretary at various times regarding meeting minutes and hotel contracts. He has been warned on occasions by the President that he will be thrown out of the EC meeting. He has been a victim of name calling. He has been called “Neftam”, “Mother F..”, “Hidwediya” in his effort to discharge his responsibilities…”
We are able to share the above information with you because we have been hacking the Public Relations email for the last three months. We have plenty more to share!
The writers can be reached at email@example.com