Ethiopia on heightened alert for attacks by Somali militants (Reuters)

November 5th, 2013 Print Print Email Email

Ethiopia has put its police and security forces on heightened alert after receiving strong evidence that Somalia’s Islamist al Shabaab group is planning attacks in the country, officials said on Tuesday.

The move came three weeks after officials said two Somali suicide bombers accidentally blew themselves up while preparing to kill football fans during Ethiopia’s World Cup qualifying match against Nigeria.

Al Shabaab has vowed to exact revenge on Ethiopia for sending troops to Somalia to fight the al Qaeda-linked militants, alongside African Union forces from Uganda, Burundi and Kenya.

“There is strong evidence that indicates Al Shabaab and terrorist groups backed by Eritrea are preparing to carry out attacks in Addis Ababa and other areas of the country soon,” the National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) and the federal police said in a joint statement.

Addis Ababa often accuses the government in neighbouring Eritrea of supporting rebels, which Asmara staunchly denies.

The statement, read on state television, said security forces were already on heightened alert and called on the public to inform police if they encountered “suspicious” activity.

Hotel staff and private landlords should verify the identity of visitors, the statement said.

It urged soldiers to remain vigilant at checkpoints along the country’s borders.

In September, al Shabaab gunmen raided an upmarket shopping mall in Nairobi, killing at least 67 people in a four-day siege.

Ethiopia says it has thwarted several attacks over the past two years which it blamed on domestic rebel groups as well as Somali insurgents.

However, it has so far been spared the sorts of assaults seen in nearby countries – such as the Nairobi mall siege and an attack that killed 74 football fans in Uganda as they watched the 2010 World Cup final on television.

  1. Anonymous
    | #1

    Ayeeeeegud! Here we go again, TPLF doing everything they can to get Aid-money to fight terrorism. It is like the pot calling the kettle black. In almost a century, no one has ever terrorized Ethiopians as the racist TPLF have — even the other bloodsucker Mengestu seems an angel compare to TPLF. It is frightening to think where they might plant a bomb and kill unsuspected Ethiopians and put the blame on someone else.

  2. Worku tesfaye
    | #2

    I suggested zat zis comments is raised from terrorists.as a citizens,every body should hv responsibility to protect his or her countrys terrorism.
    Somany times we saw bombing attempt in different area of country.forget weyane zis our mozer Ethiopia.if u hv some problem wz weyane,pls try to look solution.
    We need stability and peace.
    U hv right to blame gov,but ignoring country is dullness.

  3. Worku tesfaye
    | #3

    Early Information announced by police has very necessary if we take it as positive.eizer it happened or not.even if we hv some problem wz ruling gov,we should hv identifies issues regarding over all countries security.

  4. Anonymous
    | #4

    The same regime that has been ruling the country with iron-fist for over two decades, control the entire Ethiopian government and the country’s largest businesses, denied Ethiopians their God given rights, treat Ethiopians as second-class citizens, robed the country blind, left the country landlocked, chased out and killed Ethiopians in Gambela, Gondar and Wollo and given their land to Eritiria, Tigrea province, Sudan and to foreign billionaires, beaten up, locked up, tortured and massacred countless numbers of Ethiopians — now the same regime is telling us, Somali terrorists are coming to hurt Ethiopians — what!? Are the Somali terrorists going to be worse?

Comments are closed.